What Is The Rural And Northern Immigration Pilot?

The Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot is a community-driven program in which participating communities are small and remote communities in Ontario, Western Canada and the three territories. Participating communities take the lead in attracting new immigrants and matching them with local job vacancies, promoting a welcoming community, and connecting newcomers to established members of the community and local settlement services. 

Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot — Participating Communities

The following communities are participating in the pilot. Except first two communities will launch their component soon, all the communities listed below launched their component of the pilot:

Who Can Apply For The Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot Program?

To be eligible for the Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot Program, you must meet all IRCC eligibility requirements:

  • Have qualifying work experience or have graduated from a publicly funded post-secondary institution in the recommending community
  • Meet or exceed the language requirements and educational requirements
  • Prove you have enough financial support your transition into the community and the intention to live in the community
  • Meet community-specific requirements

Educational Requirements

You must have one of the following:

  • Canadian secondary school (high school) diploma, or a Canadian post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree
  • An educational credential assessment (ECA) report, from a designated organization or professional body, showing that you completed a foreign credential that’s equal to a Canadian secondary school (high school)
  • Post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree (your ECA report must be less than 5 years old on the date of your application).

An international student who graduated need to qualify for:

  •  A credential from a post-secondary program of 2 years or longer and you were studying as a full-time student for the full duration of the 2 or more years
  • Received the credential no more than 18 months before your application for permanent residence
  • Were in the community for at least 16 of the last 24 months spent studying to get your credential


  • A master’s degree or higher and you were studying as a full-time student for the duration of your degree
  • Got your degree no more than 18 months before your application for permanent residence
  • Were in the community for the length of your studies

Language Requirements

You must meet the minimum language requirements based on the NOC category that applies to the job offer in the community. This can either be the:

  •  Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) or Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens (NCLC)
  •  The minimum language requirements for each NOC category are
    NOC 0 and A: CLB/NCLC 6
    NOC C and D: CLB/NCLC 4

You must submit your results from a designated language test with the result that less than 2 years old when you apply.

Financial Requirements

Candidates must demonstrate that they have sufficient funds to support themselves and their families after they move to Canada. These funds must be their own and cannot be borrowed from anyone.

The following documents can be used as proof of funds:

  • bank account statements
  • documents that show real property or other investments (such as stocks, bonds, debentures, treasury bills, etc.)
  • documents that guarantee payment of a set amount of money payable to you (such as banker’s drafts, cheques, traveller’s cheques or money orders)

NOTE: Individuals working legally in Canada at the time of application are exempt from the settlement funds requirement.

How To Apply For The Rural And Northern Immigration Pilot?

Prepare all needed document to qualify for the Program

Apply for community’s recomendation

Apply Permanent Resident (Work Permit Optional)

Settle down in Canada

Get Experience Advice Before You Apply For Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot

Second Passport Incubator team can help you come to Canada together with your family members. You can focus on your study and we focus on your permanent residence in Canada. Email us or book a consultation to work with an immigration lawyer today!

Book your consultation


    免責聲明:一切內容以英文版本為準 (Disclaimer: If there is any inconsistency or ambiguity between the English version and the Chinese version, the English version shall prevail.)